An autograph collection going digital

Contact us


8x10 monochrome photo signed and inscribed in red marker. Bernstein's music didn't really come to my attention until I was in high school, although I did hear some of his recordings when I was younger (e.g., Peter and the Wolf). Bernstein's recordings were my introduction to the works of both Aaron Copland and Gustav Mahler. I performed several of his compositions while I was going through undergrad - my favorite being the overture from Candide. For me, Bernstein's greatest legacy is as an educator and communicator - popularizing the world of classical music.

Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990) was a world-renowned American composer, conductor, and long-term music director of the New York Philharmonic. He was one of the few 20th century conductors to gain super-star status, and won 16 Grammy awards (among other honors) over the course of his career. Bernstein passed away from a heart attack on October 14, 1990, just five days after announcing his retirement.

0 comments :

Post a Comment