On
6:52 PM
by
SteveL.
in
author
,
autograph
,
book
,
in person
,
revival
,
signed
,
stephen king
No comments
True first edition of Revival signed in blue pen. Back on September 15th I got an email from StephenKing.com - Stephen was going to be stopping at Books-A-Million in South Portland as part of his book tour promoting the release of Revival! I decided to try and get a ticket.
On veteran's day, my girlfriend and I got up at 1:30 AM and drove to South Portland to stand in line. by the time we got there around 2:30, there were already nearly a hundred people waiting. The first person in line had gotten there at 10:00 the previous morning! While my girlfriend slept in the car, I staked us out a spot. Waiting in line was an experience. I was sitting next to several extremely sketchy people who were being paid to get tickets to be resold (I checked online later, it looks like they were going for around $300). When I got there, they were smoking and talking about the reasons they were losing their teeth. One thought it was because he was doing hard drugs. Another said it was "'cause someone knocked them out in a fight." An hour later, they were taking about their experiences with Venezuelan strippers. By 4:30 I was freezing (it was about 20 degrees out), and they were discussing theology and Martin Luther. An hour after that I ran across the street to McDonald's to use the restroom and find something warm to drink.
My girlfriend joined me around 6:00, and we chatted until the store opened. By that time, the line stretched around the store and across the parking lot. We were quite lucky - we managed to get tickets. There were only 400 guaranteed tickets available and nearly a thousand people in line!
Jump forward a week - the day of the signing. It was cold and wet. Luckily, we didn't have to wait outside for long. We got in line for the signing at about 3:15, and our group was called inside at about 3:30 (15 minutes ahead of schedule). The actual signing was fast - 15 minutes later we were out of the store. When I got up to the table, Mr. King smiled and cracked a joke:
"For a bunch of people who've been scared to death, this is a pretty lively group. It's kind of like 'The Walking Dead.'"
And that was it. It may have been fast, but it was a thrill. I started reading Mr. King's books just a few years ago, but he quickly became one of my favorite authors. Today was an experience I will remember for a long time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
Search
Welcome!
Welcome to the Autographs Online Blog! Visit autographs-online.weebly.com if you're interested in viewing the entire collection.
Popular This Month
-
Barack Obama U.S. President The Audacity of Hope, first edition (later printing), signed in black marker. On Thursday, October 30th, 20...
-
George Takei Actor Signed 8 x 10 8 x 10 photo of George Takei signed in silver sharpie. George Takei is one of my favorite actors ...
-
Keith Lockhart Conductor I wrote to Mr. Lockhart on July 11th, and heard back today, only 15 days later! I've had the chance to see...
-
William Jefferson Clinton U.S. President Proving that I have terrible timing, here's a program from the dedication of the Willi...
-
Orlando Bloom Actor 8x10 color photo of Legolas from the Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit signed in black sharpie by Orlando Bloom. Signe...
-
Olivia Wilde Actress Signed 8 x 10 Photo 8 x 10 photo of Olivia Wilde from a GQ Magazine photo shoot signed in blue sharpie. Signed 11/...
-
Bruce Campbell Actor Signed 8 x 10 Photo 8 x 10 photo of Bruce Campbell as "Auto" in "Xena: Warrior Princess" signe...
-
Adam West Actor 8x10 of Adam West signed in blue sharpie. I grew up watching reruns of the 1960s Batman at my grandmother's house. ...
-
Nichelle Nichols Actress 8x10 signed by the first lady of Star Trek herself, Nichelle Nichols! Ms. Nichols is an amazing woman, and ...
-
Finally finished posting everything (minus several Bernd Heinrich books)! From here on out everything will come up as I acquire it.
Sample Text
Powered by Blogger.

0 comments :
Post a Comment